Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Last Night on The River

Am I going to miss life on the Mississippi river?

My first instinct is to say no, I won't. I have been longing for New Orleans with every paddle stroke for a week now. Somehow it has been getting more difficult as we close in; the reality of modern comforts taunts me.

In a moment of probable heat exhaustion we even seriously considered asking a passing barge for a lift.

On second thought, however, I will miss this time I have been given. By far the most challenging project I have ever undertaken, this journey has tested my limits, and I have risen to the occasion.

Strength, perseverance, discipline, and endurance are some of the more obvious take aways, but 2300 miles has lent an even richer experience.

I've learned to live simply; what is it that I really need to get by in this world? One thing that makes the list that surprises me is human engagement. Accepting help from people I barely knew, individuals that were thrilled to help this traveler, has been nothing short of healing. My heart is bursting with gratitude; the river community has poured into me so much when it was obvious I could not give anything in return.

Thank you to everyone who has shared this wonderful experience with me.

The Mississippi river is now a part of me; I pray I never forget this amazing summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment