Sunday, November 13, 2011

Personal Statement

I just applied to IUPUI's School of Public and Environmental Affairs to work toward a certificate in Public Management. whew. That's a mouthful.  Anyway, I was asked to write a personal statement for the application.  I'd like to share it with you...


I am Luke Taylor
I love positive change.  Not just for myself, but for those who choose to follow me. I don’t believe a person needs an office to lead others; just a vision, and the sincerity and drive to make that vision a reality.  In order to lead, I need the courage to see the world as it actually is, and embrace it. Anger, fear, resentment, feelings of inadequacy, these are real emotions that change the way we see the world.  Only when we acknowledge these feelings as we see them, and take them out of there common costume of Injustice will we be free to charge toward a better future.  Positive change starts in the hearts and minds of those who are not afraid of the future, but excited by it.
“What can I do to make my future better?”
 Leads to, “how can I lead my family into a better future?”
 Leads to, “how do I lead my community into a better future?”
 Leads to, “how can we make the world a better place, together?”
My cause is community.  In a world where weak community ties and a general apathetic stance toward the other is pervasive, we see the marginalized floundering.  In fact, we see the non-marginalized floundering.  Some have their calendars booked up three months in advance, but struggle to make any significant connection, to get plugged into a vision of a better future.  I believe that we need community to bring our families dinner when we get sick.  We need community to help change our flat tire on the side of the road.  We need community to encourage us, support us, and identify with us in times of trial.  Community cannot subside on “thumbs ups” and wall posts alone!
Community starts with you! You can lead us to a better future!   They say, “to make a friend, be a friend.” But today it is so difficult! I say, today is all you have.  Look your fear directly in the face until it backs down. And it will!  Come to the table of community with what you honestly have to offer and nothing more.  Your community accepts you.  And what a relief that is.
By applying for entrance into the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Public Management Certificate Program, I hope to gain tools to become a more effective leader in my community.  I believe that I am qualified for this program because of my financial planning background, earned from Purdue University; However, I would be great for this program because of my personality and character, something difficult to communicate on paper, but easy to communicate through actions.
A most recent action that I took to lead our community to a better future has been my service with Circle City Relief.  Circle City Relief is community in action!  Weekly, they meet Indianapolis’ homeless right where they are, and feed them, and clothe them.  This operation is only two years old but is charged with a vision for a better future, by a family that is committed to community.  I want the tools to help people like Matt and Sandy Gay (along with their kids) gain the platform to make positive changes in our communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment